1) Bringing back the dead bodies: If any Bangladesh national dies abroad, the dead body is brought back into Bangladesh or buried locally according to the will of the legal guardians/relatives of the deceased. The concerned Bangladesh Mission, Ministry of Expatriates welfare and Overseas Employment and the Bureau of Manpower, Employment and Training (BMET) work in coordination on this matter. In that case the relatives or legal guardians of the deceased person need to submit an application to the Ministry of EW&OE/ BMET with a copy to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs along with the following information:
- Photocopy of the passport (first five pages)/Photocopy of travel permit
- Employment related documents (such as, employment place along with the name, address, contact details and other relevant information).
After receiving the application having the above mentioned information generally the MEW&OE/ BMET send the application to the concerned Bangladesh Embassy/ High Commission immediately. Once the dead body is returned back other necessary functions are conducted by the Bureau of Manpower Export and Training (89/2 Kakrail, Dhaka, Phone: 9339705/01819262173/ 9349925/ 9350848, fax: 8319948). Director (welfare), BMET may be contacted in this regard.
On the other hand, if any close relative/ well-wisher who have been living in the place where the person dies, please contact with nearest Bangladeshi High Commission/ Embassy, the Mission extends complete cooperation in bringing back the dead body.
N.B: For bringing back the dead body BMET plays the major role while MOFA provides all-out cooperation with the help of the Embassy/ High Commission.
When any information found that the Bangladeshi nationals are held or imprisoned in abroad, the Consular and Welfare Wing of the Ministry directs the Bangladeshi Embassy or Mission of the respective country for taking the necessary measures. In the case, for a convenient communication the details of the held/ imprisoned person (name, address, passport number, place of imprisonment, telephone number etc.) and name, address, contact details of the applicant needs to be provided. It is requested to send this type of application to the Director, Consular and Welfare Wing of the Ministry or Labor Wing of the Bangladesh High Commission/ Embassy abroad.
* If any Bangladeshi citizen faces problem on his/ her repatriation please apply to Bangladesh High Commission/ Embassy or to the Director (Consular and Welfare). Measures are taken at the earliest possible time. When any expatriate applies to the Consular and Welfare Wing seeking help for overcoming any sort of problem facing in abroad, the wing address the issue at earliest possible time.
C. The following services are provided by the Consular and Welfare Wing:
a. Through the Embassy/ High Commission coordinates different welfare activities of the expatriate Bangladeshis residing in abroad.
b. Deliver emergency consular and other services to the Bangladeshi citizens residing in abroad.
c. As per law the attestation of the seal and signature of different documents.
D. Regarding Compensation:
When any Bangladeshi citizen dies during work time, according to employment conditions regarding compensation, the Ministry with association to the BMET and concerned Bangladeshi Embassy/ High Commission takes necessary measures. Upon receiving the application from the legal heirs of the deceased person, BMET works on providing the compensation. But in the concerned application the following things are needed to be included:
- Passport/ Identity Card of the deceased person.
- Address of the employer/institution where the person have been working.
- Place, date and the reason of death.
- Complete address of the applicant.
- Certificate regarding the legal inheritance.
E. The Bangladesh Missions abroad provides the following consular services:
- Passport issue and renewal
- Visa issue
- No Visa Required Seal, and